Climate Change Adaptation in the North Eastern Region(CCA-NER) Project
- The objective of the project is to enhance adaptive capacities and livelihoods of people in rural areas of the North East Region (NER) and enable them to encounter the impacts of climate variability and change.
- It is a technical cooperation supported by GIZ and coordinated by MoDoNER, Govt of India.
- Phase 1 of the project executed in Nagaland, Meghalaya and Sikkim. Some of the success stories have been Springshed development in Sikkim, Eri silk in Meghalaya and indigenous rice development in Nagaland.
- In Phase 2 Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh are also included. The first meeting was done here in Aizawl in Sept 2015 where proposals were called from all line departments. Based on that a Business Plan was submitted to MoDoNER.
- A scoping study for assessing value chains in Mizoram was also done by GIZ and the report has been submitted now.
An Operational Plan has been prepared outlining the activities to be undertaken under the project. The agreed activities are:
- Printing of SAPCC summary for easy dissemination
- SAPCC Expert Consultation Workshop; identification of priority areas across sectors
- Support for concept development and Detailed Project Reports for Climate Change projects to be submitted to MoEF&CC.
- On-going Project Development Workshop; Stress was made on building in-house capacity through training; Nodal Deptt to constitute team.
- Sustainable management of village safety and supply reserves in Mizoram: Support for pilot. There is possibility of taking this up also under Regional Jhum Project of GIZ presently being conceived and funding sought from BMZ.
- Springshed development: Team from Mizoram to undertake exposure visit to Sikkim, to be facilitated by GIZ. Capacity building of core team and also pilot in two water stressed villages identified by nodal department.
Agriculture &allied sectors (value chains):
- Banana value chain: Market oriented detail scoping study; facilitate promotion potential linkage with Rapunzel Ltd. Germany. Banana Symposium to be organized to identify scope and potential; identify challenges and opportunities
- Bamboo value chain: International Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR) scoping study to be commissioned. Scope of organizing a Bamboo Symposium to be looked into. Facilitation of financial support through UPNRM-NABARD window for value addition
- Piggery: GIZ to share Piggery Mission Report of scoping study undertaken in Meghalaya and Nagaland; Report to facilitate identification of support areas. Request for Development of Standard Operating Procedures with regards to piggery farm management was made by concerned department.
- Fishery and Organic Farming are two sectors to be looked into as the project progresses.
Knowledge Management and Capacity Building
- Mainstreaming CC into sectors
- Orientation to UPNRM-NABARD funding window
- Exposure to initiatives of Phase I to be organized by GIZ
- Gender Mainstreaming, Gender and Value Chains